Best PhD Theses Award Recipient
Federal University of Technology, Minna Award for the Best Doctoral Thesis was instituted and aimed at recognizing and encouraging superior research conduct and theses writing by doctoral candidates in Federal University of Technology, Minna. It has as its objectives the following:
1. To promote and encourage best PhD thesis
2. To promote and encourage world class academic research among Postgraduate students.
3. To boost the quality of theses emanating from FUT, Minna and encourage scholarship.
The establishment of the scheme was approved by 458th meeting of the Senate held on 26th May, 2021 while selection criteria proposed by the Postgraduate School Committee headed by Prof. A. S. Kovo was approved at the 465th Senate meeting held on 27th October, 2021.
Senate at its 468th Meeting approved the Institution of Cash Prize of One Million Naira in perpetuity by the Postgraduate Students’ Association in honour of Professor Abdullahi Bala and the prize is named Professor Abdullahi Bala’s Best Doctoral Thesis Award
A Selection Committee for the 2019/2020 session comprised the followings:
S/N Name School/Department Position
1. Prof. H. A. Makun – SLS – Chairman
2. Prof. A. A. Okhimamhe – SPS – Member
3. Prof. A. M. Aibinu – SEET – Member
4. Prof. R. A. Jimoh – SET – Member
5. Prof. C. E. Chinma – SAAT – Member
6. Prof. A. S. Kovo – SIPET – Member
7. Prof. A. I. Gambari – SSTE – Member
8. Dr. I. O. Oyetolahan – SICT – Member
9. Dr. (Mrs.) M. M. Adeyeye – SIT – Member
10. Mr. Bako W. Bosso – PGS – Secretary
The Committee selected best theses from eighteen (18) submissions from nine (9) Schools. The numbers of submissions from Schools are presented in the table below:
After a painstaking screening exercise, the Committee presented the Best PhD thesis for the year 2019/2020 as follows:
Best Thesis: MUSTAPHA SAHEED (PhD/SPS/2015/703)
Chemistry Department – School of Physical Science
First Runner –up: ABDULDAYAN, Fatimah Jibril (PhD/SSTE/2015/683) Library and Information Technology Department, School of Science and Technology Education.
Second Runner –up: ABDULLAHI, Ibrahim Mohammed (PhD/SEET/2016/846) Computer Engineering Department, School of Electrical Engineering and Technology.
Thus, the Winner of Prof. Abdullahi Bala’s Doctoral Thesis Award for 2019/2020 session is:
Names & Registration Number: MUSTAPHA Saheed (PhD/SPS/2015/703)
Department /School: Chemistry/School of Physical Sciences
Title of Thesis: “Synthesis and Characterization of TiO2/ZnO Nanocomposites immobilized on Kaolin for Treatment of Tannery Wastewater”
Supervisors: Prof. M. M. Ndamitso (Major), Prof. A. S. Abdulkareem and Dr. J. O. Tijani